After my last post, You Don’t Have To Go At It Alone, several of you have asked me to do a what’s in my go bag. I felt that I’d write this weeks post to answer your question. I always carry my backpack everywhere I go. Due to my health issues and the nature my writing process I always need to have access to the things I care in my bag.
- Apple Pencil
- Apple Smart Keyboard for 10.5‑inch iPad Pro – US English
- Apple iPad Pro 10.5-inch T-Mobile
- 3 Sharpie Pens
- Moleskin Notebooks
I’m truely a subscriber to Apple’s CEO, Tim Cook’s, idea that an iPad can replace a laptop for most use cases. I use a 2017 iPad Pro with a Smart Keyboard to do most of my writing work. I also carry a Moleskin with pens to write some ideas for when the use of my iPad / iPhone is not appropriate.
- Anker PowerCore II 20000 – AK-A1260011
- Anker PowerLine+ Lightning 3ft Aramid Fiber & Double Braided Nylon Cable 2-Pack – FBA_AK-848061063660
- Anker 40W/8A 5-Port USB Charger PowerPort 5 – AK-A2124111
- AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to Micro B Cable – 3ft – 3O7KV3
With all the USB powered devices I got rid of all the single power blocks and replaced it with the Anker 5-Port. I have to say I’ve tried a lot of different power accessories in the past but I’ve found that I love the Anker products. They are well made and reliable. One other thing I want point to, the Anker PowerLine+ is a braided cable that is wonderfully made and holds up better than the original Apple cables. You also get two for the price of one Apple cable and they come in a nice looking leather cable sleeve. I love these cables.
Cables and Adapters
- 3ft HDMI cable
- Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter
- Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter
- Belkin Lightning Audio + Charge RockStar Adapter for iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus – F8J198btWHT
Okay, I have to admit one issue the iPhone / iPad workflow I have is that I need to carry adapters galore. But considering the weight of the iPad vs that of a laptop and I’ll take it even if I have to carry the adapters. I wanted to point out two things under sections. The Camera Adapter allows you to use a camera with a USB. I’ve also used that adapter with a USB keyboard and even a USB flash drive to download photos and videos. Note it doesn’t work with documents due to Apple’s security programmed into iOS.
Cases and Organizers
- Cocoon GRID-IT Organizer
- Travel Case for Sphero Mini by Hermitshell
- SwissGear – 1190201408 – Backpack Color: Black/Red
- Cosmos Black Color EVA Hard Shell Stylus Pen Pencil Case – BC23050
- Catholic Our Lady Undoer of Knots & Pope Francis Icon Cloth Tapestry Rosary Zipper Close Pouch 5 3/8 Inch
Other then Anker you may notice that I love SwissGear and Swiss Army products. I blame my time as a boy scout for this fact.
Everyday Pocket Carry Items
- Victorinox Swiss Army Pocket Knife Spartan II – 3.3603US2
- Victorinox Swiss Army Accessories Set of 6 Eyeglass Corkscrew Screwdriver 30411
- Apple AirPods
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus – T-Mobile Jet Black 128GB
- SwissGear RFID Wallet
- Fisher 400B Space Bullet Space Pen – Matte Black
- Omron Micro-Air Electronic Nebulizer System NE-U22V1
This is all the stuff that I carry in my pockets. I’ve added the eyeglass corkscrew screwdriver to all my Swiss Army Knives since it came standard on the Cybertool. Since I wear glasses I always found it handy to carry a small screwdriver to tighten the screws as needed.
Other Items In My bag
- Sphero Mini Green: The App-Controlled Robot Ball – M001GRW
- Trident Gum
- Listerine Poketpaks
- $2 in quarters
- 2 AA batteries
- 2 AAA batteries
- Travel Johnson & Johnson First Aid Kit
- Custom KofC Rosary
- Tracheostomy care kit
- The Rosary with Pope Francis book
- 3 medium safety pins
- Microfiber glasses cleaning cloth
- Tylenol Travel bottle
- A book
Thank you for your question and keep your commits and e-mails coming. I will try to answer any question that you have.